International Family Law
INTERNATIONAL FAMILY LAW
MST Lawyers Family Law team has significant expertise in the area of international family law.
We regularly act for clients in Australia whose family law matters involve international family law issues.
Families often cross international boundaries, so we frequently act for clients who live overseas, including expatriate clients, in the context of international family law disputes involving Australia and/or Australian court proceedings.
Our expert team provides strategic international family law advice before disputes arise, including the context of pending international relocations, relationships, marriages and separation.
We can assist with international family law matters including:
- separation and divorce in matrimonial matters
- de facto partner disputes (including same sex partnerships)
- Australian court proceedings
- jurisdictional (forum) disputes
- international property settlements
- financial agreements, including pre-nuptial, cohabitation and separation agreements
- registration, collection, enforcement and variation of overseas maintenance obligations, including spousal maintenance (alimony), child support and child maintenance
- foreign judgments
- injunctions and restraining orders, including where there is a real risk of the removal of assets from Australia
- obtaining information, valuations and gathering evidence abroad
- international service of documents
- international parenting matters, including:
- issues relating to parental responsibility (decision making) and living (custody/residence) and spending time (contact/access) arrangements for children;
- international child abduction (1980 Hague Convention) proceedings
- international relocation cases
- overseas travel by children
- child passports
- registration of overseas parenting orders, including pursuant to the 1996 Hague Convention (the Child Protection Convention)
- The making of “mirror orders” reflecting the terms of orders made overseas
- Arranging and representing clients in cross-border mediation, including legally assisted mediation and child inclusive mediation.
Our family law team has existing relationships with specialist practitioners from around the world and through the involvement of our lawyers with organisations including:
- the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC); and
- the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
Drawing upon our relationships and the expertise of other specialist teams at MST Lawyers, including our corporate advisory and litigation teams, we provide a responsive, efficient and integrated service for our clients in international family law matters.
Free Consultation – Contact Us
For further information, please contact our Family Law team on +61 3 8540 0200 or fill in the form below.