International Family Law
INTERNATIONAL FAMILY LAW
MST Lawyers Family Law team has significant expertise in the area of international family law.
We regularly act for clients in Australia whose family law matters involve international family law issues.
Families often cross international boundaries, so we frequently act for clients who live overseas, including expatriate clients, in the context of international family law disputes involving Australia and/or Australian court proceedings.
Our expert team provides strategic international family law advice before disputes arise, including the context of pending international relocations, relationships, marriages and separation.
We can assist with international family law matters including:
- separation and divorce in matrimonial matters
- de facto partner disputes (including same sex partnerships)
- Australian court proceedings
- jurisdictional (forum) disputes
- international property settlements
- financial agreements, including pre-nuptial, cohabitation and separation agreements
- registration, collection, enforcement and variation of overseas maintenance obligations, including spousal maintenance (alimony), child support and child maintenance
- foreign judgments
- injunctions and restraining orders, including where there is a real risk of the removal of assets from Australia
- obtaining information, valuations and gathering evidence abroad
- international service of documents
- international parenting matters, including:
- issues relating to parental responsibility (decision making) and living (custody/residence) and spending time (contact/access) arrangements for children;
- international child abduction (1980 Hague Convention) proceedings
- international relocation cases
- overseas travel by children
- child passports
- registration of overseas parenting orders, including pursuant to the 1996 Hague Convention (the Child Protection Convention)
- The making of “mirror orders” reflecting the terms of orders made overseas
- Arranging and representing clients in cross-border mediation, including legally assisted mediation and child inclusive mediation. Our family law principal, Belinda Spong, is a qualified mediator and Amanda Humphreys has undertaken training in cross-border mediation, with a focus on Japanese-Australian family disputes, including international child abduction cases.
Our family law team has existing relationships with specialist practitioners from around the world and through the involvement of our lawyers with organisations including:
- the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL),
- the Law Firm Network,the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC); and
- the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC); and
- MiKK e.V (supporting the mediation of cross-border disputes).
Amanda Humphreys is a fellow of the IAFL and has regularly attended international conferences of the IAFL, including Hague Convention Symposiums. Amanda has written articles about various aspects of international family law, including papers presented at conferences in Australia and overseas including the World Congress on Family Law and Children’s Rights.
Drawing upon our relationships and the expertise of other specialist teams at MST Lawyers, including our corporate advisory and litigation teams, we provide a responsive, efficient and integrated service for our clients in international family law matters.
For further information, please contact our Family Law team on +61 3 8540 0200 or email email@example.com. We happily arrange Skype and telephone appointments for our interstate and overseas clients, accommodating time differentials where required.