Dispute Resolution & Litigation
Our Dispute Resolution & Litigation team provides solutions, guidance and advice to people and companies who become involved in disputes, court proceedings and arbitrations.
Our lawyers recognise that disputes and litigation create stress for those involved. Hence our mission is to minimise the impact of disputes and litigation on our clients by promptly analysing all the facts and issues and giving advice, not only as to the likely legal outcome, but as to ways and means by which our clients can conclude the dispute or litigation in a way that maximises their return.
Our lawyers have vast experience in all federal and state jurisdictions and have developed trusted contacts throughout the world to call upon when there is an international element of the dispute or litigation. They also have extensive experience in all forms of dispute resolution including mediation, independent case assessment, informal hearings and discussions.
Areas of Expertise
- Claims and disputes arising from all types of contracts and agreements, whether as to interpretation, performance or available remedies for breach
- Claims and disputes between business partners, directors and shareholders
- Claims and disputes between franchisors and franchisees including disputes relating to the performance of contractual obligations of both franchisors and franchisees, compliance with the Franchising Code of Conduct and other relevant laws and termination of franchise agreements
- Claims and disputes between landlords and tenants
- Claims and disputes relating to property, including disputes relating to ownership, disputes relating to priority or enforcement of mortgages and charges affecting property and disputes in relation to boundaries of real property
- Claims and disputes between persons involved in construction and engineering including disputes relating to interpretation and scope of construction and engineering contracts, quality and timeliness of workmanship, performance of external advisers such as architects and engineers and obligations of sub-contractors and material suppliers
- Claims and disputes relating to trade marks, patents, designs, copyright, trade secrets and confidential information, including prosecuting or defending challenges to ownership or validity of such intellectual property
- Claims for the recovery of debts, loans and other money including negotiation of repayment arrangements and insolvency litigation (bankruptcy and wind up applications)
- Defending recovery claims made by liquidators of insolvent companies and bankruptcy trustees
- Advice and prosecution of claims for external administrators of companies and trustees in bankruptcy
- Applications for restraining orders (injunctions) including freezing orders and search orders
- Enforcement of local and foreign judgments
- Insolvency and reconstruction
Our team includes lawyers who are Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Specialists.