Casuals Now Entitled To Overtime
By Brenton Allen, Lawyer, MST Lawyers
On 12 December 2017, the Fair Work Commission (FWC) varied a number of modern awards to include overtime rates for casual employees.
From 1 January 2018, casual employees will have an entitlement to overtime pay in the following modern awards:
- Fast Food Industry Award 2010
- General Retail Industry Award 2010
- Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2010
- Restaurant Industry Award 2010
Specific overtime rules will vary depending on the applicable modern award. In general terms, the above-mentioned awards will entitle casual employees to overtime pay when they work:
- more than 38 hours per week, or an average of 38 hours per week over a roster cycle; or
- in excess of a set number of hours in a day (which may be between 10 to 12 hours, depending on the applicable modern award).
More information can be accessed via the website of the Fair Work Ombudsman here or by contacting the Employment Law team at MST Lawyers on 03 8540 0200 or by email at email@example.com.